Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gelanggang Gong Serapat


It used to be a Gayong and ADMAA training centre at Pasir Puteh, after the late Tuan Haji Hamid Kopi passed away. If i'm not mistaken, it was the first Gelanggang ever in Kelantan (but still must be asked to the elders).

Tuan Haji Rashid, or known among us as Ayah Sik was the chairman of Silat Seni Gayong in Pasir Puteh. He was a direct student of Cikgu Awang Daud. I still remember having the ADMAA logo on our silat uniforms. Tuan Sanusi is his younger brother, known as Ayah Si. My students from France had the oppurtunity to meet both of them, and feel some of the Pukulan and Kunci in the ancien way! ;)

However, due to the new generation, who are more "banyak lemak" or "manja", the Gelanggang at Gong Serapat vanished. The last time I trained there, when I was still 17, with another 6 friends. We were the first 7 red belt in Pasir Puteh, who trained everyday at the Gelanggang Gong Serapat. I was disappointed for what happened. The main problem is the leader of the students, if he is OK, than everyone is motivated. If he creates the problem, then everyone will leave the Gelanggang. Even though only the Jurulatih or Gurulatih who rules, the influence of him is important too.

Well it is a past story. Even in our group, it's only me who still trains and teaches Silat Seni Gayong. After red belt, I took the yellow belt grading with used-to-be my student, and took my black belt alone! (with a partner who was already black belt). I know it is hard for Ayah Si to handle the Gelanggang alone. I'm going back soon to Malaysia, and God willing, will continue teaching Silat Seni Gayong, but this time to my own Anak Melayu who are motivated to learn this priceless treasure....

No comments:

Post a Comment