Friday, August 28, 2009

Karipap Dinasor

Other than drawing and practicing martial arts, I like cooking. I love to see my guests enjoying eating the food that I prepared. My first recipe that I learn was Sweet Sour Fish when I was ten, then Chicken Curry when I was 17, and Roti Canai, Bihun Goreng, Kuzi Daging, Kurma Ayam, Briyani rice, Nasi Minyak, Dagang Rice, Tomato Rice, Chicken Rice, Kambing masak Kurma, Roti Jala, Murtabak, Tom Yam, Asam Pedas, Crab Masak Lemak Cili Padi, etc ... (I know I know, it's Ramadhan...! Stop me please! ;p)

A friend of mine called me at 10 in the morning. "Akem, ko pandai buat karipap tak?" (do you know how to make curry puff?) I was in the middle of hibernation, so I said "yes". And I continued my sleep. At 3 pm, he called me again, "Akem, how I get to your house?". Alamak! What did I told him in the morning? So I rushed to the toilet, did this and that, then performed my prayer and waited for him. And I called my mom (it's already night at Malaysia) how to make curry puff!

I went out to find some Hallal meat at Belleville (one of Chinatown in Paris), and bought some other stuff for the break-fasting. So I'm sharing my famous "Dinosaur Curry puff". Nyam nyammm!!!!

Ok, don't laugh at me. This is my first time to write a recipe in English. It much more difficult to do this than any article I made about martial arts!!! ;p


My mom's Curry Puff recipe (meat):

Filling:

5 tablespoons oil
1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon meat curry powder
2 teaspoons meat or chicken curry powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cup of shredded meat
2 large potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pastry:

With Margarine

1 lb plain flour
5 oz margarine or shortening
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Without Margerine

1 lb plain flour
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon of salt

How to masak-masak:




Make the filling first. Heat oil and fry onion gently until golden brown. Add the curry powder, , chili, turmeric and fry gently. Add the meat, potatoes, sugar, pepper, salt and cook for 5 minutes. Mix well and leave aside to cool.

To make pastry, mix flour with margarine, water, salt, and knead well. Let it rest for 1/2 hour.


Dough with margarine. My cooking table is a complete mess. Don't blame me. I've tried very hard to fix it, but in the end it behaves as how it likes! ;p


Make another pastry without adding the margarine. The rest is same. Let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Dough without margarine

Make it into small dough. One dough will be used to make 4 curry puff wrapping.

Take one dough (margarine). By using a bottle, roll on it until have a 3mm thick.

Put the other dough (without margarine) on it. Do the same thing.


Roll on it with bottle

Now we have a double layer 3mm thick dough in circle. Cut the circle in the middle into two parts. Separate them. Take one part, roll it. Cut that roll into 4 parts.

Take one part from that roll, put that 'face' ups

ide. Using a bottle, roll on it again and make a circle. Now you have a wrapping for one curry puff. The purpose of making two different layers is to have the magnificent effect of "Jalur Gemilang" after frying the curry puff.


Put in the filling

Fold pastry over to make a half circle and crimp at edges. Deep fry in hot oil until golden.


.... et Voilà! Ready to cook;)


I made the Murtabak with the same ingredient. It is only that, I use the dough to make a large and thin wrapping, putting the filling (I add egg and shredded onion when I want to "fold' it), and cook it.

(God, I don't believe I've made it until here. Hopefully my instructions could be understood! hehehhe)

This was my first attempt to fry them! Quite "hangit" (burned) as I forgot to slow the heat down. hehehehe. This is how a malaysian Cikgu silat survive 7 years in France.....! ;p

Bon Appetit!


1 comment:

  1. Hakim, you have to invite me and cook that dish for me!!! pleeeeease!!
    Anyway, thanks for the recipe! I'll try for my family!hehe!
    PS: your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete